Driving in heavy rain and flooding conditions in the Longwood, FL area can be hazardous. The excess water can damage your car, cause it to stall, or cause you to have an accident. The best choice is to wait, but if you must travel during heavy rains and flooding conditions here are some wet weather tips to help keep you safe.
- Take a little extra time to drive slower and expects delays from possible traffic congestion. Keep in mind stopping distances can be at least double because your tires will have less grip with water on the roadway.
- Take time to size up standing water before driving through it. What may appear to be a puddle, can end up being deeper than it appeared initially.
- If you suspect it’s too deep for your vehicle or you can’t be sure, find an alternate route. Modern doors seal well and will likely keep the water out, but it will also cause your vehicle to be buoyant, and it will lose contact with the ground.
- If the water is shallow enough to drive through, take it slow so too much water doesn’t get into the engine compartment and cause it to stall or damage the electronics.
- Once you exit, pause for a moment to allow excess water to drain off the car. It’s a good idea of gently push the brake pedal to when exiting to create a little friction heat and burn off excess moisture.
The agents at Blanchard Insurance in the Longwood, FL area want you and your passengers to travel safely. We also want to be there in case you have an accident to have the coverage you need. Contact one of the Blanchard experienced agents today to discuss your auto insurance options.